Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Perfect Corn on the Cob

I am from small town Iowa and will always be an Iowa girl at heart. One of my favorite things about the summer is corn on the cob. I have corn on the cob here in Illinois all the time but it still doesn't seem as good as the corn I had growing up in Iowa. 

I remember going down to the gas station near the edge of town and getting corn on the cob from families who sold it out of their trucks. Corn picked that morning is hard to beat. I would sit out on the back porch and help my mom or dad shuck the husks and silk off of all the corn we picked up. I know most people think it is gross but I would think it was cool if I found and ear of corn with a worm hiding under the husk. There would always be at least one ear of corn that had a worm out of the batch we would pick up. There are plenty of farm stands out by where my husband and I live selling corn, but it is just not the same as getting corn from the families selling it out of their trucks. And I still have yet to find a worm in my three years living in Illinois. 

You may notice in my picture..the Butter Boy. How many times does the butter fall off of your knife while you are trying to butter your corn? A lot of cooks will say it is unnecessary to have cooking tools that only serve one purpose. I love the Butter Boy. I think it is a great tool for buttering your corn. The head is curved to fit perfectly over the ear of corn and the butter glides on with ease. Love it!

Anyway......This way of making corn is the way my family always made it growing up and I think it comes out perfect every time. 

Perfect Corn on the Cob

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons Sugar
2 tablespoons Salt
Ears of Corn, husks and silk removed

Fill a large pot full of water. Add sugar and salt to water and bring to a boil. Once boiling add corn and boil, covered for 10 minutes. 



1 comment: