Saturday, September 1, 2012

Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Chicken

Cookbook Recipe #12

Melissa D'Arabian is another Food Network chef that I watch a lot. She makes a lot of really easy and few ingredient recipes because they are all supposed to feed a family of four for under $10. I agree that a lot of her recipes use ingredients that most people have on hand, but if you do not have some of the key ingredients on had the recipe cannot be made for 2 people for under $10, let alone 4 people. Though I may not agree that all the recipes are cheap, I do like her recipes none the less. So I was very excited when she came out with her first cookbook last month.

I decided to make the Spinach and Cheese Stuffed chicken for this cookbook recipe. I made this recipe Thursday night but have been unable to post because our computer was back in the shop getting a new hard drive. Oddly enough my computer at work also has to be cleaned off completely this week. So, don't let me touch your computers!

I changed the recipe up quite a bit as the original called to use cream cheese to make a homemade creamed spinach. I decided to just use frozen creamed spinach and skip that step all together. Phil and I really liked this recipe, it was so easy and took no time to make.

Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
Adapted from Ten Dollar Dinners by Melissa D'Arabian

1 box Green Giant creamed spinach, thawed
Boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 6-8oz each
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Lemon Juice, to taste
Salt
Pepper
1/4 cup flour
Garlic salt, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cut a pocket into each chicken breast. Cut just about all the way through the chicken (you want to stuff as much spinach inside as possible!)

In a small bowl mix thawed cream spinach, mozzarella cheese and garlic salt. Stuff spinach into pocket of the chicken. Using toothpicks, thread the pocket closed to keep as much spinach mixture in chicken as possible.

Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper.

Place flour in a shallow dish. Dip chicken in flour and coat both sides of chicken.

Heat olive oil in a large oven safe skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken breasts and cook until browned 4-5 minutes on one side and 3 minutes more on other side.

Drizzle chicken with lemon juice and place half a tablespoon of butter on each chicken breast.

Bake for 15 minutes in oven.

Serve drizzled with sauce from pan.

Print Recipe

This Recipe is linked on: Show and Tell SaturdayStrut Your Stuff SaturdayFoodie FridayFriday FavoritesFoodie Friends Friday









3 comments:

  1. This dish looks amazing! I enjoy her show also and really liked when she was on the show competing and am happy she won! I'm going to pin this recipe and share it on my Facebook page. I think it's something I could make! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. Come back and vote on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen her show, but will have to look for it now! This recipe looks really good! I am going to add it to my menu for next week.
    I am also from Foodie Friends Friday and want to welcome you!
    I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome... I have spinach in the garden that might work in this recipe. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and hope that you will join us next week with some more great recipes.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete