Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Grilled Chicken with Homemade BBQ Sauce

Cookbook Recipe #5



When you were a kid did you ever go into the kitchen and make a disgusting concoction of random ingredients and then tell your friends you would give them some amount of money to drink the whole thing? We would do that at my house all the time and I would always put the liquid smoke in it because as a kid I always thought it smelled sooo gross. When I was getting the ingredients together to make this barbeque sauce it reminded me of those days as a kid, as the recipe calls for liquid smoke. I actually thought it smelled pretty good when I took a whiff before adding it to the sauce!


Isn't it so gratifying when you make something homemade and you try the first bite it actually tastes like something you bought in a store? Its the best feeling when you can make it from scratch on your own. There are not a lot of things that I like to make from scratch, but I do like to make my own sauces and marinades once in a while. So, I thought I would try my hand at making homemade barbeque sauce.

When I am making things for the first time I like to make the recipe pretty close to the original, have a taste, and then make it more my own. The original recipe for this barbeque sauce was really good, but I still wanted to manipulate it a little bit, so I added some garlic. I would probably add garlic to most things if I thought it would go well because I love it so much. I thought garlic would be a good twist to straight barbeque sauce, and it was.....the sauce came out great. All the ingredients in this recipe are things I have on hand all the time, so I am going to try to make it a point to make my own sauce more often.

This was a tag team dinner again with my husband as I made the sauce and he grilled the chicken. We are really getting some good use out of the new grill!

Grilled Chicken with Homemade Barbecue Sauce
Adapted from the Deen Brothers Cookbook: Recipes from the Road



1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 tablespoon mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon onion salt
Mix of chicken pieces (thighs, drums, wings, breasts)


Preheat grill to 350 degrees. 


Mix everything but chicken together in a bowl. Brush chicken pieces with sauce. 


Grill indirect for 40-50 minutes until chicken is cooked through. If you like your chicken crispier, after it is fully cooked, grill direct for 5 minutes each side.  Brush chicken with barbeque  sauce every 10-15 minutes while grilling. 



Print Recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment