Thursday, July 19, 2012

Chicken Tetrazzini


Cookbook Recipe #6

My Food Network obsession started with Rachael Ray. I used to watch her a lot when she was on in the afternoons. Then I started to watch other chefs more and more and now I am OBSESSED with the Food Network and the new Cooking Channel.

My parents started getting me the new Rachael Ray cookbooks every year for Christmas, which started my cookbook collection. She is great with making a burger into a pasta and then a soup. I love how she can make anything into something else. I also love Rachael's cookware line. I like how everything is made in color. I have her pots and pans, casseroles and utensils. Her cookware is all very user friendly as well. My favorite is a ladle that has a flat bottom to get up all the yummy brown bits on the bottom of the pan. The yummy brown bits are the best part!

Anyway...enough with my obsession with Rachael's cookware...onto dinner. As much as I love Rachael, Rachael LOVES onions and puts onions in every one of her recipes. So I have to pick recipes that I think will still be great without the onions.

Tonight I chose to make her tetrazzini recipe. She made hers with turkey, but I am not a big fan of turkey breast so I used chicken. I also made mine healthier by using whole grain pasta, which you could not even tell that it was not regular pasta. I have made tetrazzini before but have always used cream of mushroom soup. So this was the first time I have made it from scratch. It definitly tastes better making it from scratch. I love the texture that the breadcrumbs gives to the pasta. Phil said this one is a definite keeper!

Chicken Tetrazzini
Adapted from Rachael Ray Just in Time


1/2 pound whole grain spaghetti
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup white wine
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 package sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1 tablespoon dried parsley
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste


Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Cook pasta according to package directions. 


While water comes to a boil heat a large skillet with 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat. Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Brown chicken about 5 minutes on both sides (depending on how thin your chicken is pounded will determine how long to brown). 


In another skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat and cook sliced mushrooms about 10 minutes until done. 


Once chicken in browned place aside. In the same skillet add 2 tablespoons butter and melt over medium heat. Once melted, add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in white wine and continue to stir for another minute. Add stock and bring to a bubble. Once bubbling stir in sour cream and add mushrooms. 


Cut chicken into thin strips and add to cream mixture. 


In another skillet add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. To butter add breadcrumbs and cook until browned. Once breadcrumbs are browned add parmesan and parsley. 

Add pasta to cream mixture and then top with breadcrumbs. Enjoy!


Print Recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment