Sunday, July 29, 2012

Blueberry Baked Oatmeal


Cookbook Recipe #8

I love the Southern Living Annual recipe books. They all have over 900 recipes in them and they are all about comfort foods. My favorite! The books have all the recipes from Southern Living Magazine throughout the year. I like that they also put the book together by month because when you are trying to make a recipe with ingredients that are in season you can look at that month. From this book I decided to make Blueberry Baked Oatmeal.

I am not really a big oatmeal person but I really like this baked version. I make this recipe a lot on the weekends because I usually have a lot of leftovers for during the week at work. I love the combination of blueberries and brown sugar together. When I make this in the winter I use frozen blueberries but in the summer I use fresh blueberries. I need to get in the habit of buying a bunch of blueberries when they are on sale and freezing them so I can enjoy good summer blueberries all year long.

Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
Southern Living Annual Recipes 2007


2 cups fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
1 18oz container regular oats
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon cinnamon
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.

In a small bowl toss blueberries with 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Pour and spread out into baking dish.

In a large bowl combine oats and next 9 ingredients until well blended.

Pour mixture evenly over blueberries.

Bake, covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes.

Print Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment