Saturday, June 29, 2013

Matzo Ball Soup

Cookbook Recipe #54

We have a Jewish Deli close by my work that we like to go to a lot. My boss is Jewish so he got us into the Jewish deli. They have the best sandwiches hands down. There is a deli in Chicago called the Eleven City Diner. I think that is the best Jewish Deli that I have been to. Their pastrami is AMAZING! I also always get Matzo Ball Soup when I go to a Jewish Deli. I know a lot of people are not a fan of the matzo balls, but I really like them. I had my first bowl of Matzo Ball Soup at DZ Atkins Jewish Deli in San Diego. That place was really good. They put noodles in their soup which is why I put them in the soup I made. Although you cannot really see them in the picture! The only thing with this matzo ball recipe is that it does not make a whole lot. I doubled the recipe and it still was not a lot. It was enough for me and another meal but that is about it. If you have never been to a Jewish Deli, I definitely recommend it.

Matzo Ball Soup
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Soups and Stews

4 eggs
1 cup matzo meal
1/2 cup club soda
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt

4 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
2 tablespoons chicken soup base
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon celery salt
Salt
Pepper
1/2 package fine egg noodles
2 carrots, peeled and diced

Beat eggs well and stir in matzo meal, club soda, vegetable oil and salt. Mix well.

Cover and chill at least 2 hours or overnight.

In a large pot cook carrots for 5 minutes over medium high heat.

Add chicken stock, water, soup base, poultry seasoning, celery salt, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.

Using an ice cream soup make matzo balls.

Drop into boiling water and turn heat down to a simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile cook egg noodles according to package directions in a separate pot.

Add the noodles you want to use to your soup bowl. Add soup on top.







No comments:

Post a Comment