Saturday, July 6, 2013

Sizzling Rice Soup

Cookbook Recipe #55


I know another soup recipe, in the summer nonetheless. I just love it so much and when I look through my cookbooks they are always the recipes I want to make in them. This soup reminds me of my childhood. It has been a favorite of mine for years. It is one of the first soups I remember eating. There used to be a Chinese restaurant called the Imperial Palace that my family always went to in Omaha. I used to love going there because there were Koi ponds and rivers with Koi running through the restaurant. I always thought it was so cool. They also had Sizzling Rice Soup and we always got it. The waiter would bring the bowl of soup to the table with the squares of sizzling rice. Then he would drop the rice in and it would sizzle really loud. I loved it. Although there was never enough of the rice for me. It was the best part of the soup. I could have eaten all the rice meant for 4 by myself. Ever since getting the soup at the Imperial Palace I look for it on every Chinese menu. And if they have it I always get it.

I was going through this Oriental Cookbook the other day and came across the soup and it sounded so easy. So I decided to give it a whirl. The soup came out really good, minus one thing. No sizzle. It did say that you must work quickly and put the rice in the soup right away to maintain desired sizzle. I did not work very quickly so I am sure this is why. Oh well. Other than the sizzle the soup tasted very similar to soup at Chinese restaurants. I made a few minor adjustments to the recipe. I did not put any meat in, but you certainly could put about anything in. I also changed up the vegetables that I added as well. It is a very versatile soup. I just love that sizzling rice!

Sizzling Rice Soup
Adapted From Better Homes and Gardens Oriental Cooking

1/4 cup short grain rice
2 cups snow peas
5 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons soy sauce
Salt
Pepper
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 cup sliced bamboo shoots
Oil for deep fat frying



Cook rice according to package directions. Cool. Divide rice into eight portions and form into patties.

Heat oil over 375 (I used a deep fat fryer).

Fry patties four at a time for about 4 minutes or until golden.

Meanwhile, cook mushrooms in a pan over medium heat until done.

In a large pot heat up chicken broth, soy sauce, salt, pepper, bamboo shoots, and snow peas. Add cooked mushrooms. Keep warm.

Working quickly place all the fried rice patties in a large serving bowl and pour soup over top. (Speed is important to obtain the desired sizzling, (I did not do this)).








2 comments:

  1. I remember going to the Imperial Palace with you and your family!
    This looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I used this cookbook growing up. I think Dad still has it. LOL

    ReplyDelete