Saturday, June 8, 2013

Roasted Tomato Soup

Cookbook Recipe #52


I have made this soup several times. It is soooo good. I got the recipe from Katie Lee's Joel's, well was Joel at the time, cookbook. It is a really nice cookbook, I would recommend it for sure. Lot's of different and rustic recipes. I really like rustic recipes, they are just so comforting. This soup is one of them. The only problem with this soup is that it does not yield very much. It is a lot of work for not a lot of product. If I am feeling ambitious I will double or triple the recipe so that I get more, but that requires a mound of tomatoes. Which means lots of seeding and peeling. For some reason the last couple times I have made this the tomatoes have burnt a little. I ended up turning down the temperature and then they were fine. Not really sure what I did different though. Maybe too much olive oil, who knows, it still came out delicious. When I was eating it I was thinking of an addition for next time. Maybe some sherry would give it a richer flavor, not that it needs it.

Roasted Tomato Soup
Adapted from The Comfort Table, by Katie Lee Joel

2 1/2 pounds roma tomatoes, halved, seeded and cored
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups chicken broth
Salt
Pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Line a couple baking sheets with foil.

Place tomatoes on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 2 hours.

If tomatoes start browning too much turn temperature down to 250 degrees.

Let tomatoes cool to the touch. Remove and discard skins. Tear the tomatoes into bite size pieces and put into a medium saucepan. Add garlic and chicken broth.

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes uncovered.

Season with more salt and pepper if needed. Use an immersion blender and blend tomatoes until desired consistency.

Stir in heavy cream. Simmer for 10 more minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment