Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Risotto with Bacon and Kale

Yesterday I felt like Paula Deen, today I feel like Sandra Lee and her Round 2 Recipes. This recipe is also from Giada and coincides with yesterdays dish. From the roast chicken and vegetables I reserved one chicken breast and 2 of each carrots and parsnips. This was a good way to use all of your leftovers. I thought though that this recipe was just alright. Phil really liked it, so maybe I am just not a risotto fan. I do think I may have over cooked the rice just a tad. So maybe that was it. It wasn't bad, just not my favorite. One nice thing about this risotto though, and I think a lot of people will like this, is that you can put it in the oven. No stirring over the stove for a half an hour. It is a really simple risotto to make.

Risotto with Bacon and Kale
Adapted from Giada de Laurentis

 4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
1 cup arborio rice
3 cups chicken broth, plus 1/2 cup
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup cooked chicken
1 and a half curly kale leaves, steamed and chopped fine
2 roasted carrots, diced
2 roasted parsnips, diced
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Preheat a large dutch with olive oil over medium high . Add rice and stir to 2 minutes. Add 3 cups broth and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover with a lid and bake in oven 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and return to stove over medium low heat. Remove lid and stir in chicken, kale, roasted vegetables and 1/4 cup broth. Stir until kale is wilted about 5 minutes. Add extra broth as needed. Stir in cooked, bacon and cheese.

Print Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment