Thursday, January 24, 2013

Chicken with Mushrooms

Cookbook Recipe #33

As I have mentioned before I love Ina Garten. A lot of people I know do not like her show very well, but I am not one of those people. I think her recipes are very classic and are always delicious. I was watching her show a couple weekends ago and she was in Napa Valley and made this recipe. I know I have made a couple versions of this before, but I just love chicken and mushrooms so I like to try different ways of making it. They usually all come out a little bit different, so maybe one of them can be your go to favorite.

This is Ina Garten's new cookbook, Barefoot Contessa Foolproof. I think this is going to be my favorite book of hers. I marked a ton of recipes to make in this one. Along with the chicken and mushrooms I made her Green Beans Gremolata recipe, and that came out really good. I will be making it another night for sure and post that on its own. The chicken and mushrooms came out really good. This makes a lot of sauce as the original recipe calls to use 2 whole chickens and I only used one chicken. So you could easily halve the recipe. The only thing I would change next time is that I should have browned the chicken a little longer, because the color was not the prettiest. It is a nice recipe for a special occasion because it does seem like a fancier dish.

Chicken with Mushrooms
 Adapted from Barefoot Contessa Foolproof

1 whole chicken, cut up
Kosher salt
Pepper
Flour
1/2 cup olive oil
8 whole cloves garlic
1 1/2 pounds assorted mushrooms
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1/4 cup sherry
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups white wine
2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.

In a shallow dish put about 1/2 cup flour and coat the chicken pieces.

Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large dutch oven. Brown chicken on all sides about 5 minutes.
Remove chicken and set aside.

Add while garlic cloves, mushrooms and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add sherry and cook for 1 minute. Add minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the wine, chicken broth, 1 tablespoon salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Add chicken back in. Cover and move to oven. Cook for 30-35 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.

Remove chicken from pot and set aside.

In a small bowl combine butter and 1/4 cup flour. Add to the sauce and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Add chicken back in and serve.

Print Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment