Thursday, December 20, 2012

Double Chocolate Covered Cherries

Cookbook Recipe #28

Every year before Christmas I take part in a Christmas Cookie Exchange with Phil's Mom and Aunts. I can make a lot of things in the kitchen, but cookies is not one of them. It is just not my strong suit. Last year a devil came out of my while trying the make the cookies. I was swearing and tossing the cookie sheets. They just kept burning. I made 3 batches and they all burnt. I was soooooo mad! So, I have realized that cookies are just not my thing, so I make Christmas "treats". I think I will attempt one cookie every year at least. The one I did try to make, did not burn, but they just did not taste very good. Go figure!

So, I made the chocolate covered cherries, cookie balls, and almond bark covered pretzels. All no bake! I made these cherries last year and they came out really good. My mom really likes chocolate covered cherries so I like to make them for her as well. They do have a few steps so there is a waiting period, but overall they are pretty easy. Also, Phil helped me out because he knows how stressed I get about this. He was my savior! I did like 6 dozen of the cherries so with his help it went by so much faster.

 
Double Chocolate Covered Cherries
From Pillsbury Christmas

1 jar (10 oz) maraschino cherries with stems
3 tablespoons butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar 
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
2 teaspoons milk
1 bag (12oz) semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening


Place cherries on several paper towels and gently press out excess moisture. Let stand at least 1 hour to drain.

Meanwhile, in a stand mixer beat butter, corn syrup, one ounce chocolate and milk on medium speed until smooth. Stir in powdered sugar. Mixture will be dry and crumbly. 

Turn fondant out onto counter and knead until smooth. Divide fondant into 24 pieces and shape around cherries. Place on a cookie sheet and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper.

In the microwave melt chocolate chips with shortening in 30 second increments until melted.

Dip cherries in chocolate and place on waxed paper to harden.

Store in an airtight container.

Print Recipe

This recipe is linked on: Full Plate ThursdayLink it up ThursdayCreative Thursday   Wednesday Extravaganza Cast Party WednesdayWhimsy Wednesday









 



1 comment:

  1. I love Chocolate Covered Cherries, these look awesome! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and a very Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete