Thursday, March 7, 2013

Chicken Vesuvio

Cookbook Recipe #39

I think this is Rachael's best cookbook so far. The pictures are not professionally done which makes everything seem so much more real. I love that she showed us what she makes every day. I always wonder if what the cooking show stars show us on TV is really what they cook at home. With this cookbook you can tell that what she makes on TV is really what she makes at home. It is written very differently then most cookbooks in that it is almost like a notebook, and I really like it. All in all I think you should add this book to your collection!

I have been seeing recipes over and over for chicken vesuvio. I always say that I need to make it someday and then never do. I saw on the Food Network recently someone making chicken vesuvio and decided that I was definitely going to make it this week. I changed up Rachael's recipe in a few ways. Rachael's recipe used only chicken breasts and I wanted to use the whole chicken. Also, I used baby red potatoes instead of russet, because I prefer them and you can leave the skin on, win win! I also added some mushrooms, because well, I add mushrooms to anything that I think they would be good in. Phil and I both really liked this recipe a lot. And it's a one pot meal, even better!

Chicken Vesuvio
Adapted From Rachael Ray My Year in Meals

1/3 cup of olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
8 baby red potatoes, quartered
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt
Pepper
1 whole chicken, cut up
Flour, for dredging
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
8 oz mushrooms, halved
1 teaspoon dried parsley

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a skillet heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium high heat. Add garlic, potatoes, mushrooms, oregano, rosemary and thyme. Cook until browned about 15 minutes. 

Meanwhile in a large dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat. 

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Coat in flour. Brown in skillet about 3-4 minutes per side. Once browned set chicken aside. Deglaze the pan with wine and broth. Add vegetables into the dutch oven. Add chicken. Cover pot and roast for 40-50 minutes or until chicken is done. 

With about 5 minutes left in cooking add frozen peas. 

Top with parsley to finish. 


 This recipe is linked on:  Full Plate ThursdayLink it Up ThursdayThriving on ThursdaysTasty Thursdays Foodie Friday, Foodie Friday, Foodie Friends Friday, Foodtastic Friday Fever, Weekend Wonders




3 comments:

  1. This looks SO good. Adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a satisfying meal. Pinning it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. Please come back Sunday to vote.

    ReplyDelete