Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pumpkin Bread: Regular and Gluten Free

Cookbook Recipe #21

What better treat to celebrate Halloween, then with pumpkin bread! I wanted to bring a treat into work for Halloween but my boss is gluten free. Bread is easy to make so I figured I could make one loaf of regular pumpkin bread and one loaf of gluten free pumpkin bread for my boss. I found the Streusel Topped Pumpkin Bread recipe from my newest cookbook in my collection, The Picky Palate Cookbook By Jenny Flake. I heard about this cookbook from Jenny's blog the Picky Palate. I have been subscribing to the Picky Palate for a while now, because I too can be picky about food. I was excited to see a blogger come out with her own cookbook. I already marked several pages of recipes to make! I only changed a few things from the recipe. I added ground cloves and ground ginger to the recipe as the gluten free recipe called for those and I like the spice flavor that cloves and ginger give to baked goods.

I found the recipe for the gluten free pumpkin bread on Betty Crocker's website. I liked the recipe because it uses a box of gluten free cake mix, so I did not have to worry about other ingredients like baking powder or baking soda. I wasn't sure I would be able to find gluten free cake mix, but I did at Target. Target has a nice selection of gluten free products. I am excited to see if Geriann, my boss, likes the bread tomorrow!

Streusel Topped Pumpkin Bread
Adapted from The Picky Palate Cookbook, By Jenny Flake

3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 1/2 cup flour, divided
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ginger
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
4 tablespoons cold butter, diced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a 9x5 bread pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Add the oil, eggs and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until well combined. Add the pumpkin and beat on low. Slowly add 1 cup flour, sugar, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/2 teaspoon ginger and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix on low until well combined.

Pour batter into prepared bread pan.

In a medium size bowl mix brown sugar, remaining 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix to combine. With a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the dry mixture until crumbly.

Sprinkle over the bread.

Bake for 55-65 minutes, until cooked through.

Let cool completely before slicing.

Print Recipe

Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread
Adapted by Betty Crocker

1 Box Betty Crocker Gluten Free yellow cake mix
1 15oz can pumpkin
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray 9 x 5 bread loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl stir all ingredients until well combined.

Pour into prepared bread pan.

Bake 55-65 minutes, or until done.

Let cool before serving.



Print Recipe

These recipes are linked on:  Mix it Up MondaysMelt in your Mouth MondaysOn the Menu Monday,  Makin You Crave Monday Tempt My Tummy TuesdayTotally Tasty TuesdaysTasty Tuesday PartyTalent Show Tuesdays , Slightly Indulgent TuesdaysFoodie Friends Friday,  Foodie Friday, Full Plate ThursdayLink it up ThursdayCreative ThursdayFantastic Thursday,Show and Tell SaturdayStrut Your Stuff SaturdayFoodie FridayKitchen Fun with my 3 SonsWeekend PotluckWicked Good WednesdayMealtime Monday


3 comments:

  1. This pumpkin bread looks amazing! We'll be trying this yummy recipe! Thanks for linking up to our Strut Your Stuff Saturday! -The Six Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pumpkin bread. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and I hope you join us again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! We love anything to do with Pumpkin. Both of these breads look delish! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete