Saturday, July 13, 2013

Blueberry Streusel Muffins

Cookbook Recipe #56

Blueberries are on sale big time around here. I always buy a big container of blueberries when they are a good price. The container was so big though I didn't know what I was going to do with all of them. I thought what better to make then blueberry muffins. I have always like blueberry muffins with a crumbly topping on them so I was in search for a good blueberry streusel muffin when I came across this one in one of my Barefoot Contessa cookbooks.

I learned a great tip from Ina Garten about making muffins. Use an ice cream scoop. It is the perfect size to fill the muffin tins and they all come out the exact same. What a great idea right? I use the kind of ice cream scoop that reminds me of the cooks in the lunch line in school. You know, the scoop they used for mashed potatoes? That style works perfect for this.

The muffins came out pretty good. I still have not conquered baking. I can make great desserts, but cookies and muffins just do not seem to be my forte. Phil said they were really good. Maybe I am just too critical of myself.

Blueberry Streusel Muffins
Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics by Ina Garten

3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups buttermilk, shaken
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
2 large eggs
2 cups fresh blueberries

Streusel

3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons cold butter, diced

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Line muffin tins with paper.

Into a large bowl sift the flour, sugar, baking powder,baking soda, and salt.

In another bowl mix buttermilk, butter, lemon zest and eggs.

Mix the wet mixture into the dry mixture with a fork. Fold the blueberries into the batter.

Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the muffin tins.

For the streusel, place all ingredients into a bowl and using a hand blender cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it is in very small pieces.

Spoon about 1 tablespoon of streusel on top of the muffins.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.









1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are looking awesome!!
    And, so are those muffins! We love blueberries around here, and these would be perfect for a quick breakfast.

    ReplyDelete