Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Taco Soup

I got this recipe from my mom. She always made good comfort food growing up which is probably why I like comfort food so much. I always especially liked when she made soup. She would make chicken and rice, chili, chicken noodle with homemade noodles. So I knew I would like this recipe that she gave me for Taco Soup.

The original recipe she gave me is more like a chili than a soup. I was in the mood tonight for more of a soup so I added tomato sauce and beef broth to make it a little thinner. So I guess you could say this is a Taco "Stoup" according to Rachael Ray. Thicker than a soup but thinner then a stew. Ooohhh Rachael.....she is so nerdy, but I love her anyway. I also used ground turkey instead of beef because I was trying to be a little healthier and anymore I just like ground turkey better.

I really like how this came out and will definitely be making it again. I like the use of taco seasoning because I did not have to keep adding different seasonings to get the taste I wanted, the taco seasoning was all the flavoring it needed. Thanks for this one Mom!

Taco Soup
Adapted from my Mother

1 pound ground turkey
1 packet taco seasoning
1 15.5oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15.5oz can chili beans, undrained
1 14oz can tomato sauce
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 16oz bag frozen corn
2 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon garlic
1 beef bouillon cube

Brown ground turkey in a large pot or dutch oven.

Once ground turkey is browned add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes.

Top with your favorite toppings.

Print Recipe


2 comments:

  1. Glad I found this through It's a Keeper's linky party. I linked in asparagus soup. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely check that out...I love soup!

      Delete