Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Roasted Vegetable Soup

Our computer crashed this weekend so I have not been able to blog the past few days. I have to say I really missed it! The computer has to go back in the shop in a couple days, but I am excited to have it back to hopefully do a couple posts. 

I love tomato soup. Especially a homemade tomato soup that has been slow roasted. The only problem with slow roasting tomato soup is that it does not yield a whole lot unless you have a million tomatoes. And who wants to seed and peal a ton of tomatoes for very little product. I like to do it once in a while, but not all the time. I saw this recipe for roasted vegetable soup that has tomatoes, carrots and zucchini, and thought it would be a good way to get a similar flavor as roasted tomato soup with not as much work. 

I really liked this soup and it was a nice change to traditional tomato. Next time I make this I will probably add a sweet potato or butternut squash to make the soup a little sweeter. I really enjoy the sweetness of the tomato in a tomato soup and the carrot and zucchini kind of took that away. I also like that you can change the texture of the soup easily by not pureeing it as much to get a chunkier soup. I pureed mine quite a bit as I was looking for a tomato soup texture but next time I may puree less to get a thicker soup. I will definitely be making this one again. 

Roasted Vegetable Soup
Adapted from Taste of the South Magazine

6 Carrots, peeled and cut in quarters lengthwise
3 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
8 plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt
Pepper
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup half and half
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Put foil on a cookie sheet. In a medium bowl toss carrots, zucchini, and tomatoes with olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. 

Arrange vegetables in an even layer on cookie sheet. 

Roast, turning occasionally until vegetables are tender for 40 minutes. 

Once vegetables are roasted place half vegetables in a blender with half of the chicken broth and puree until desired consistency. Place pureed mixture in a large saucepan. Puree rest of vegetables with the rest of the chicken broth. Pour into saucepan. 

Add half and half, salt and pepper to taste, paprika and Parmesan cheese. 

Cook over medium high heat, about 10 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment